Tuesday, October 11, 2016

Hard-boiled History

Bouchercon-goers in New Orleans last month, who asked me to name my favorite recent read will undoubtedly recall me extolling the multiple virtues of By Gaslight (Farrar, Straus and Giroux), a Victorian-era suspense novel penned by Victoria, British Columbia, author Steven Price. It isn’t often that I find cause to go on and on about a 730-page yarn, but this one I consider extraordinarily well-written and ambitiously conceived. I endeavor to defend those opinions in my brand-new Kirkus Reviews column, which calls Price’s book “absorbing, persistently surprising,” and “poetically composed.” You can (and should) read the whole piece here.

There’s no question in my mind that By Gaslight will find a prominent spot in my Best Books of 2016 tally.

READ MORE:By Gaslight,” by Miriam E. Burstein
(The Little Professor).

No comments: