Wednesday, May 30, 2007

Plucked from Obscurity

I haven’t yet received my copy of this week’s New York magazine (there are certainly disadvantages to living in Seattle). But apparently, it contains a feature that sounds very much like The Rap Sheet’s recent compilation of overlooked and forgotten books. Appreciating the work of New York editor Adam Moss (with whom I communicated a bit back when he was at Esquire), and knowing all about long magazine deadlines, I harbor no suspicions that our idea was stolen. Furthermore, while we concentrated on crime fiction, Katie Charles’ “The Best Novels You’ve Never Read” deals with any novels--so long as they were published during the last 10 years.

Still, the New York report includes a handful of books plucked from our favorite genre: the late Barbara Seranella’s Munch Mancini mysteries, David Fulmer’s Rampart Street, George Pelecanos’ Drama City, Olen Steinhauer’s The Confession and Liberation Movements, and J.M. Hayes’ Prairie Gothic.

Charles’ full selection can be found here.

(Hat tip to Contemporary Nomad.)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

If it makes you feel any better, I haven't received mine yet either. But then: you know all about my severely challenged postal delivery people. I may just buy it from the newstand fifteen feet from my apartment house door...

Anthony